Natural Fibers & Fabric Info
Here at Fusion Threads Co, we offer a variety of sustainably sourced, plant based fabric blends that are thoughtfully chosen to best fit each garment and dye style we offer.We believe that natural fibers are the only fabrics that belong on our bodies. They are more breathable, more heat responsive, more comfortable, and healthier for our skin: the body’s largest organ. We believe that what you put on your body is just as important as what you put in it!
As we have grown, we have found that each of us prefers natural fibers to synthetics and feel exponentially better wearing plant based fibers compared to polyester.
Not all of our fabrics are organic but all of them are plant based! If organic is important to you, you will want to stick with our hemps, cottons, and bamboos. We love these blends for our pieces that require more structure, support and texture, such as our shorts, bells, crop tops, and joggers. We prefer to use lightweight hemp/bamboo blends for our dresses or anything flowy and heavier weight for bottoms.
While hemp is often stiff when we begin the process of dyeing and sewing with it, we have found that it softens beautifully over time and with washing.
When we want to showcase our geode and specialty dyes or create garments that require drape, movement, and a smoother finish, we opt for modal and tencel blends.
Modal and Tencel are cellulose fibers made from a collection of tree pulp - most often, birch, beech, spruce and eucalyptus trees. Chemicals are used to transform the wood into fibers, but they are non-toxic and use the closed loop production process, meaning they are still environmentally sustainable. The best way we can describe these fabrics is as a better alternative to synthetics. The finish of these fabrics is smooth, shiny, and soft which is why we choose them for our dressier pieces!
All of our fabrics are hand-dyed in house using fiber reactive, procion dyes, which contain no toxic substances.
Because all of our clothing is made from high quality fabric and hand-dyed, we hope and recommend that you take excellent care of your pieces by washing in cold water and line drying. You may dry the pieces in low heat to occasionally tighten up the fit or soften the feel, however the fabric will best retain its color and texture through line drying.
Please read the fabric blends breakdown and pay attention to the fabric types in our listing descriptions, especially if you are particular about what you wear or if you have any allergies.
Fabric Blends Breakdown
Natural Hemp Stretch Jersey - 240 GSM (medium weight & organic)
- 53% Hemp, 44% Cotton and 3% Spandex
- Stretchy, supportive, breathable, this is one of our favorite fabric blends and is used for nearly every waistband! A luxurious blend that offers excellent structure and fit. Our most environmentally sustainable fabric
Bamboo French Terry - 280 GSM (medium weight & organic)
- 66% Bamboo Viscose, 28% Organic Cotton and 6% Spandex
- Cozy, warm, stretchy while still breathable. Our most textured blend that we love using for the fall and winter months
Hemp Cotton French Terry - 390 GSM (heavy weight & organic)
- 55% Hemp, 45% Organic Cotton
- A very textured and thick, sweater knit like blend that is beautiful for winter styles. Gets softer with washing.
Bamboo Fleece - 280 GSM (heavy weight & organic)
- 70% Bamboo Fleece, 30% Organic Cotton (heavy weight & organic)
- The most soft and luxurious winter fabric we have ever felt. This is the perfect fabric to keep you so warm and cozy all winter long.
Bamboo Velour - 280 GSM (medium weight & organic)
- 67% Bamboo, 28% Organic Cotton and 5% Polyester
- Velvet made from natural fibers? Could it get more wonderful? This fabric is the most glamorous accent to any cold weather garment
Siro Modal Viscose - 240 GSM (medium weight & plant based)
- 95% modal, 5% spandex
- Modal is made from the pulp of trees (such as eucalyptus, birch, and beech). This fabric has the most beautiful finish and drape making it excellent for dressy pieces. It is shiny, soft, incredibly smooth, and dyes beautifully
Linen Spandex - 200 GSM (semi-sheer & plant based)
- 97% Linen, 3% Spandex
- Linen comes from the flax plant. Flax is a long reed like plant that grows in the Mediterranean and Central Asia. This knit has great drape and texture.